Question
Posted by: Alex | 2008/07/03

Endometriosis

My 29 year old daughter has Endometrioses in a big way. She has just undergone a second operation (5 weeks ago) but the same cysts (Ovarian - blood filled)) have since already regrown. Yesterday, a fertility specialist informed us that the first two surgeons had merely drained the growths - as apposed to having removed them. Nothing was done to combat the disease or prevent its reoccurrence. Despite all the pain, suffering and enormous sums of money spent, we are back at square one.
Is this ethical medical practice?
Needless to say, my childless daughter is now also a psychiatric wreck.
Can you recommend any recourse?

Endometriosis is very hard to treat. If the cysts had been removed, there would have been a high chance that the whole ovary would have been lost - obviously not a desired result in a 29 year old. A fertility expert would be the best person to advise further treatment. Medical options might be useful at this stage in addition to whatever surgical treatment is necessary.