Question
Posted by: Anusha | 2008/06/05

Endometriosis

Is there a link between endometriosis and cancer. Reason for asking is that my sister was diagonsed with breast cancer and the oncologist kept asking if she had endometriosis , which she didn't. I was unable to conceive for 10 years due to having endometriosis and am I at risk ?

thanks

Dear Anusha
There is an increased risk for early onset breast cancer and non-hodgkins lymphoma in patients with endometriosis. Both these conditions can be prevented by regular monitoring - yearly full blood counts, yearly breast examinations and mammograms if needed.