Question
Posted by: G | 2010-01-29

Endo &  Fertility

I have written to you before about my symptoms. Your reply was that I need to investigate whether or not I have Endometriosis.
Can you please tell me if a doctor can establish whether or not I have endometriosis by doing an abdominal ultrasound?
AND, what influence does endometriosis have on getting pregnant?

Dear G

Abdominal ultrasound may be valuable in certain cases of endometriosis where there are large endometrial cysts present. However in many cases the diagnosis can only be made through laparoscopy, which requires admission to an operating theatre and under anaesthesia. Endometriosis can affect fertility in numerous ways and this forum is not sufficient for me to elaborate on all the methods or mechanisms of this pathology.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Pally | 2010-01-30

I have stage 4 endometriosis and was diagnosed through laparoscopy. i was told that it is not possible to detect it from ultrasound. you need a microscope to see it.

unfortuately it does affect fertility when it is in its advance stages. but the FS will advce you better in terms of when and how.

all the best.

Reply to Pally