Question
Posted by: anon | 2010-06-21

end of tunnel

ok so would normally think i had/have relatively adequate intelligence. i feel a bit dumb today.

for the first time in my life i saw a psychiatrist. i''ve been on my antidepressants now 3 months prescribed by my specialist. when he diagnosed me it was like he slapped me through the face, i considered so many horrible diseases (i tried to self-diagnose:-) but not ''severe depression'', and when he said it it was like a movie, and everything made sense and i obviously lost it a bit and broke down. long story short.

so today when she said& explained she''s ''upping'' my mgs, and i must let her know in intervals of 1 and 2wks if i still feel the same (just about dead), or, fantastic, i said " can you actually feel great when depressed from taking AD?"  so that''s why i''m feeling a bit dumb. i honestly accepted feeling like this the rest of my life.

well, perhaps my reason for posting today is a bit stupid or more than obvious for some - it really wasn''t to me, but i just wanted to say to those who feel like a light at the end of the tunnel doesn''t exist, today, for the first time, i realised there is in fact a possibility of that being true.

i''m not dancing and hanging from the chandelier yet, but i haven''t had this amount of hope in a very, very long time. and for now that''s enough.

well, its good if the diagnosis and plans now make good sense to you. Depression can be exceedingly sneaky, sometimes pretty obvious to other people while oddly invidible to it's owner.
Whatever else, dumb is something you are not. Really dumb people don't seem to feel dumb - that's reserved for rather intelligent folks who fall short of their own sometimes inflated expectations for themselves.
As youn say, even though there is a light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes we are facing in the other direction, looking back itno the darknes we have been in, and not facing towards the lights ahead.
I'm delighted to hear how hopeful you are feeling. And if there are a handful of bumps on that road, don't let that hope fade, but move on in the right direction

1