Question
Posted by: JILL McCALLUM | 2010/01/06

ENCOPRESIS

I' m at a loss. My son in 8 and is still soiling. Have seen various paeds, play therapist and homepath. No improvement. He will be continuing with Sensory Integration OT from next week (only had 3 months last year) and play therapy. But what do I do in the mean time? He soils daily, sometimes twice. I clear him out with X-prep, but the next day he soils. Daily, he has a senna tablet and Benefibre in healthy cereal. He is active as well as participating in sports. It is harming his self esteem and becoming an issue between him and me as he resists cleaning himself when he' s soiled. Please help. Where to from here?

When you say STILL SOILING, do you mean that he has NEVER been clean and has never NOT soiled ?
BY 8 of course one would expect a child to be continent, though some may start soiling again for a time if troubled emotionally in various ways.
There are some physical problems which may lead to a child not being able mto stop soiling, but presumably the paeds have checked for all of those.
Espeially as emotional complications have beun to be notable, surely he ought to be seen and thoroughly assessed by a good child psychiatrist or child psychologist , who can also advise on behavioural methods to help encourage him not to soil, and to help him not to be so discouraged.
I don't know of the slightest shred of good evidence that Play Therapy or Sensory Integration therapy are of the slightest benefit in such situations, and disagree with people offering unproven "therapies" on the basis of laims rather than good evidence.

1