Question
Posted by: Jill McCallum | 2010-01-06

ENCOPRESIS

I' m at a loss. My son in 8 and is still soiling. Have seen various paeds, play therapist and homepath. No improvement. He will be continuing with Sensory Integration OT from next week (only had 3 months last year) and play therapy. But what do I do in the mean time? He soils daily, sometimes twice. I clear him out with X-prep, but the next day he soils. Daily, he has a senna tablet and Benefibre in healthy cereal. He is active as well as participating in sports. It is harming his self esteem and becoming an issue between him and me as he resists cleaning himself when he' s soiled. Please help. Where to from here?

Hallo Jill
Please take him to a gastroenterologist for an evaluation - he may have a hereditary nerve condition of the bowel. What happens is that they can't feel that the rectum is full - and then you get "overflow" leaking. He may need to have an examination under anaesthetic (colonoscopy). Let me know what he says?
(Look on www.medpages.co.za under Free search for one near you or ask your GP to refer you).

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-06

Hallo Jill

Reply to cyberdoc