Posted by: Shane | 2011-09-01

Dear Doc,

Thank you for reading this.

I am a 25 year old male. On Sat I was diagnosed with German measles. Everything seemed fine on the last day of the rash (Tuesday) except in the early morning of Wed I woke up with a headache with such pain I cant begin to explain how sore it was. I couldn’ t sleep and I felt disoriented. Wed afternoon the pain seemed to be less. Today (Thu) I still have a very mild headache and my head feels ''fuzzy''. My throat also hurts. I dont really have an apetite. But other than that I feel fine. My neck was never sore or stiff but my eyes seem to hurt.

Do you think this could be a German measles related encephalitis? I have heard of people getting this.

Should I go back to the emergency room or let it blow over?

It is possible that you could be experiencing a complication of German measles of which encephalitis should be considered as a possible diagnosis. You will have to go back to the emergency room for blood tests and spinal tap.