Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010-08-03

Encephalitis

Hi doc, I have been ill for 3 weeks. I started off with a fever, bad headache, sore muscles, fatigue etc and on the 4th day I went to see the doctor. He gave me antibiotics and I started feeling better within 3 days. On the 4th day I was back to square one and felt just as awful. I spent a lot of time lying in bed purely because I didn''t feel up to doing anything. I went back to the doctor who then diagnosed me with Encephalitis purely on my symptoms. I did not have a lumbar punch. I have now finished the 2nd prescription of antibiotics yesterday. I am still having fever attacks during the evening. I woke up this morning with the headache again and had to drink the medication that I was given for pain and fever. I would just like to know whether this is normal that it takes so long to get over this or should I see another doctor. I normally just get flu and then it dissappears after I have had my antibiotics. I also always go for the flu injection every year in March. I have to move house during the next couple of days and purely have no energy.

Hallo Mel
We don't always do a lumbar puncture for encephalitis, but if you still have fever, stiff neck, headache and or any other neurological symptoms (e.g. difficulty walking, talking, seeing) I would advise you to get a second opinion.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-08-03

Hallo Mel
dr Bets