Question
Posted by: Curious | 2010/09/07

Empty follicles

Hi Doc, I produced 18 eggs during my 1st IVF (unsuccessf) and 16 during my 2nd(successful) IVF.It looked as if I produced about 15 during my 3rd attempt (aged 35) on the scan, but after the ''harvesting'' process I was told the follicles were empty, I hadn''t produced any eggs. Do you maybe know why ? I was told ''these things happen''. My husband and I had no fertility problems conceiving our first child, but resorting to IVF using his banked sperm after he had chemo therapy. Thanks

Dear Curious

The condition of empty follicle syndrome [EFS] is a rare occurrence but we encounter it from time to time at our practice as well. However it is important to ensure that the trigger injection given correctly and in the right dosage as some times this is a cause of empty follicles as well. Also in my experience repeat IVF’s occasionally would yield the odd egg or two which may well result in a pregnancy. Also the option of softer stimulation protocols and even natural IVF protocols should be seriously considered.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/09/13

Dear Curious

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert