Question
Posted by: Jade | 2009-04-12

Employer to ruin future.

Maybe you can help me. I have sent my CV in for a wonderful job opportunity. I would have to drive far every day, bu for the salary and the hours I work it is so worth it.
You can say I am counting my chickens before they hatch but I have to be able to handle the situation if it arrives.
The problem is my current employer. She is very rude, racist and spiteful. I have been working here for two years and never have she asked me how I am or anything. It' s a good day if I get a hello.
I called in sick one day (doctors orders), the boss called me and screamed at me asking who am I to stay at home?Bla bla bla. Now I have an opportunity to work for people who respect me and actually care about employees, I would only be working 8-5 in the week. Weekends of so I would be able to study and see my family that live about 2 hours away.
My point is I need and want this job. Problem no. 1 - I cannot use my current employer as reference for I know that she will tell them whatever to ruin this for me.
2nd problem - How do I handle resigning for I know she is going to give me all the hell she can. She has the reputation of finding out were the previous employers are working and then calling there employers to tell them how useless they are. She always has an excuse if confronted and plays victim.She is sick at the moment and give' s everybody else the blame, it seems that she does not care for other peoples happiness, but she was like this before she got ill.
How do you handle a situation like this and keep your head high at the same time?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: EMPLOYER TO RUIN FUTURE

It is suggested that when you speak to your future employer that you tell them that there is a specific problem and explain to them why they will give you a bad reference. The resigning must be done in writing by giving them 30 days notice. There is no other way in which you can handle this situation.

2
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-04-15

Give your previous employer as a reference. Explain the situation 2 your prospective new company. Yes some bosses can turn very nasty when U want to leave but U don' t have 2 tell them where U r going to. Good luck.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Vie | 2009-04-14

there is no way that she can know of where u are going unless you divulge that information and she cant force it out of u. I have been there, done that, my previous employer was dying to know where I was going and I refused to tell, and told her to her face that I will not even put their name down as reference. u can ask one of the employees there to act as your reference shud your new employees want to speak to someone there

Reply to Vie