Posted by: Sarah Clark | 2012-03-14

Please tell me what the early symptoms of emphysema are. My husband was warned by his doctor some years ago that he was likely to develop it as he is an exceptionally heavy smoker ( 70 a day ). He has a very bad cough which is worse in the mornings but his chest " rattles"  during the night with fluid building up and he coughs all night in his sleep to loosen it. He often finds it hard to breathe easily and uses my asthma pump a lot. Will that help ? He won''t stop smoking. Please advise , as I think I need to be forewarned in order to be of help to him.

Yes, he has all the early symptoms of emphysema. Asthma pumps can alleviate the symptoms but he will have to stop smoking. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Champix to assist him with smoking cessation.