Posted by: Pat Visagie | 2011-06-10

I have stage 3 emphysema. I use oxygen for 15 hours a day : (7hrs during the day, 8hrs during sleep). What would be the life expectancy at this stage of the illness? I am also insulin dependant now, having used tablets for several years. So far any answers I have had have been very vague. Best wishes, Pat.

I am sorry to learn about your condition. Life expectancy will depend on how well you emphysema and diabetes are controlled, as well as the insidence of complications. I am uanble to provide you with a definate answer, as for instance a severe lung infection can be fatal. If you however, stay as healthy as possible, your life expectancy can be years.

Posted by: Pat | 2011-06-11

Thankyou Dr. I realise now that there are many factors to take into accont. Best ishes, Pat.

Reply to Pat