Question
Posted by: Marelise | 2011/08/07

Empaped 250mg given to 9month old

When asking my husband for a glycerine suppository as our 9 month old is constipated, hehans it over to me and I insert it only later to realise he has given me a Empaped 250mg!! Is my baby in danger? What will happen?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Marelise The correct dose of paracetamol for a child does not depend on its age, but its weight. The usual dose is 15 mg per kilogram of weight. In other words if a baby weighs 10 kg it should have 150 mg. This dose can be taken once every 4 hours, up to 4 times per day if needed. However, since your child did not receive other paracetamol doses during the day, I suspect that no harm would be done (depending on the weight of your little one) as the TOTAL DAILY DOSE in children should not exceed 90 mg per kilogram in a day.

2
Posted by: charmaine | 2016/03/01

Can you give empaped 250 mg with stemetil suppositories my girls is 10 years old with a stomacbuck thanks

Reply to charmaine
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/08/08

Reply to pharmacist