Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2012/08/14

Emotionally over sensitive

I am 33 yrs old and a mother of a 15month old girl. I stay at home, use to work before having her. I always use to be bit sensitive but recently it is out of control. I get so defensive over anything he asks me. I feel like everything that goes wrong in the house is my fault. I just feel like crying and have lost my excitement to get up every morning and spend a great day with my baby girl! I am tired of feeling like this. Should I get help? I am also on calming tablets because I feel anxious constantly. Please tell me what is the best thing to do.

It would definitely be wise to seek a proper expert assessment and advice based on those findings. I wonder, for instance, whether there might be some PND, Post-natal Depression, which can cause the sort of symptoms you describe, and which responds well to treatment both with antidepressant meds and CBT counselling. These treatments will also deal with the anxiety symptoms, while the sort of sedative tranquillizers many GPs still use for anxiety symptoms often prolong or worsen depression. If at all possible, see a good local psychiatrist for an assessment and a discussion of your treatment options, either privately or through your nearest medical school or major state/provincial hospital or clinic

1