Posted by: Jenny | 2009-08-23

emotionally drained

I have a 6 month old son. The last week i have been feeling a low grade sadness. I feel tired and overwhelmed sometimes, just trying to keep on top of the housework and also working part time from home. Some days are better than others . I don' t feel that my husband helps me enough. He has a long day and works hard, sometimes our child is sleeping when he gets home. He does look after the baby, but only when i ask him. Often on weekends, he sleeps in the afternoon, while i carry on with the usual routine of washing, cooking and caring for our child. He gets a break from his routine on the weekend, but I don' t. I just feel that it is unfair and I don' t ever get credit for what I contribute to the home. I feel tired and emotionally drained Do alot of people feel this way?

Kids, especially at such an age, can indeed be draining at times ( and invigorating at others ). Its good that your husband is prepared to help, despite his own busy schedule --- don't fret that he needs to be asked --- he probably feels unsure of exactly what is needed, and thinking of what the kids needs isn't part of his regular routine, so it probably doesn't occur to him naturally. However, do discuss the situation with him, calmly ( NOT at a crisis point, but at some neutral time ) and ask for his suggestions about how things could be worked out a bit better. He probably has a heavy weekday schedule, and sees the weekends as HIS free time,, not perhaps realizing that for a busy mom there are no weekends and no free time, unless one arranges and schedules it.