Question
Posted by: Jules | 2010/09/01

Emotional/Hormonal 14yr old girl??

Hello there... I hope you can advise me on how to go about our situation??

I''m the stepmom to 2 teenage girls. They both live with us for the last 4 years. I''ve learned how to deal with kids and grew very fond (love) them. I don''t have kids of my own and don''t plan to have any.

My problem is that I don''t have much of a support system like grandparents etc.. I don''t know how to deal with the 14yr old girl, or get advise. Me and her get along very well and understand each other, but she is INCREDIBLY sensitive to what who says too her.

If my hubby and I try to make polite conversation over dinner and joke about the dog eating her cellphone, then she would burst into tears. It''s like she is unstable or something.

She''s very happy in school, has good friends, loves her teachers -she''s doing well and does not have " troubles"  if she has a problem, she comes to me and we deal with it, but now she says that she doesn''t understand how her emotions can get so out of hand???

Is there something I can do, to make this better for her??? Please help - I''m starting to loose my cool here???

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Jules,

given her age, there may be times where hormonal activity leads to high emotional sesitivity. In the early teen years it is very common for boys and girls to struggle with a surge in their emotions, and often it feels out of control for them. It is also a time of being very self-conscious and as a result jokes directed at a yound teen can feel like criticism, even when it very clearly isn't. For the next while it will be an emotionally bumpy ride. Things may well settle themselves, but something to watch out for is low self-esteem. If this is evident, then its worth thinking about a therapeutic intervention.

2
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/09/08

Hi Jules,

Reply to Teen expert
Posted by: STILL waiting | 2010/09/02

Hi Jules. I saw your post, it was No 9. I also had a query almost the same as yours. I have been back TWICE to ask the Doc to respond, but all he has done was to remove all my requests including our original No 9. I don''t know why he bothers to have this site if he won''t take the trouble to respond. I doubt you will get an answer. Sorry about that.

Reply to STILL waiting