Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-12-06

Emotional Eating

Dear Prof. Simpson, My problem is that I binge eat. I know that this is destructive, but continue to do so despite the knowledge. I use medication for Hypertension, Cholestrol and depression. I love to exercise but there is always a reason why I cant get to it. I can easily find myself eating a pack of biscuits or an entire slab of choclate by myself. My family now has to suffer because I dont buy these things so that I cant eat it. I spoke to a psychologist once who told me that when I need to eat that instead of grabbing sweet things, I should eat something healthy - I bought a box of rice cakes and ate it all in one go! When I binge eat it is mostly sweet things (but not always ie rice cakes!). When there is nothing sweet in the house, I will make breakfast cereal with lots of sugar. I dont just eat when I am hungry, I eat when I am bored, I eat when I feel down, I eat when I am angry, I eat when I am restless, the problem is that I eat when it dont need to eat!!!!!!! I have experienced one major depressive episode which saw me hospitalised for 10 days and many short lived depressive episode since. However, over the last few years I have been able to contain myself very well and very seldom have episodes of depression that extended beyond a late night bout of crying, from which I would recover very quickly. However, my physical appearance is now really getting me down because I am so over-weight. Your advice will be appreciated!!! Thank you very much, Regards, Anon

As you've noticed, there's often quite a large gap between what one KNOWS, cognitively and factually, and what one DOES, behaviourally.
A psych using CBT can help[ you get this under control, and help also to make the attractive excuses less effective. And meantime, if you don't have bars of chocolate and packets of biscuits in the house, you couldn't scoff them down. And I don't think the family necessarily suffers greatly from a sweet-free diet. Whereas packets of salad greens, etc., could help fill the gaps when you're hungry. And don't keep sugar, which you don't need at all - normal ( non sugared or flavoured ) breakfast cereals and oatmeal porridge can be satisfying without sugar.
You've admirably gained control of the low moods, and should be fully capable of controlling the binghe-eating while enhancing your diet and taking on that exercise you say appeals to you. Within months you could be enjoying the new svelte you !

2
Posted by: Peeps | 2010-12-07

Hi Anon,

I did the same thing and realized it was because of someone saying ''I cared too much''. I decided not to care about my body image any more and started binge eating. I am no longer friends with this person and decided I wanted to look good for myself. I started drinking fizzy drinks to fill myself up so I would not eat as much. Eventually I stopped with the fizzy drinks and ate a lot of apples to fill myself up and then started eating the right portion of correct foods. Perhaps someone has hurt you, you need to sort this out first before the binge eating can change. Why don''t you try to exercise before you eat and make the sweet things a treat for doing exercise and then only try to have treats on weekends. Try to replace the binge eating with ''binge exercising''. You know you can do it and you know you are beautiful inside, so take control and make the outside look beautiful as well. Stuff everyone else who said or did bad things to you, this is your life!! Take care.

Reply to Peeps