Question
Posted by: Emily | 2012-07-16

Emotional Eater

Dear Cybershrink and other reader

I have tried all those things and nothing works.

Does a psychologist or psychiatrist offer CBT training? I think it is the only option for me.

Dear Emily,
I'm sure there are many shrinks in SA, mainly psychologists, who can provide proper CBT. The problem is, that though there is acumulating good scientific evidence that it is lastingly effective, there is no formal requirement for any specific formm of training to deliver it, no registration of skilled practitioners of CBT versus enthusiastic amateurs, and so on. So keep hunting, and ask around, and see who is available in your area.
Also, though I know this may haven been a discouraging experience, remember not to discount any mode of treatment too readily. A drug may not work in the dose you were given, or while other meds are being taken ( prescribed or over-the-counter ) but might work at another time. A psychotherapy or counselling method is more personal and less fully standardised than a medication, and may work brilliantly when you work with one therapis / shrink, and not with another. Sometimes you "click" with a particular shrink, and work haerd and well with them, but the same process just doesn't work with another.
But keep on trying - you're worth it !

1

Dear Emily,
But keep on trying - you're worth it !