Question
Posted by: Emily | 2012/07/16

Emotional Eater

Good Morning
How do I overcome this?
At the slighest hint of stress I rush to go and eat something, comfort food I guess. I have tried to break the habit for the prescribed 30 days it takes to break a habit. Not working. I think of all the starving people. Not helping. I feel guilty because I spend money on snacks and go short elsewhere. I have been under stress for ages so I know that I am not well equipped to deal with more i.e. change of work scenario. I am not even hungry but I reach for food or snacks or anything not healthy. I have high cholesterol as it is. I can literally pin-point the second but I cannot stop myself. How do I stop this awful habitI seem to have got into please? I thought of hypnotism but it goes against my religious beliefs.

Find other useful things to do when you feel stressed - as suggested by Anon, try exercise, absorbing tasks, and non-fattening snacks like a cup of tea or some vegietables. If you don't have piles of comfort food sitting round the house or office, calling to you, your impulse is usually not strong enough to push you to go out, get in a car, drive to the mall, and buy some junk food.
Not only can Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy CBT help change these bad habits permanently, but it could help you identify why you are constantly feeling stressed ( which is probably not inevitable ) and how to so change your life as to modify the stressing and its triggers.
Hypnotism isn't the answer ( though I don't think is has major religious significance ) as the real aim, as in CBT, should be on strengthening your ability to avoid and deal with stress in healthier ways, and hypnosis doesn't do that.
I used to use greek-style Worry Beads, to have something comforting to fiddle with when agitated, and nobody gains weight with those !

3
Posted by: Queen | 2012/07/17

Trust me, its very difficult to snack on something when its not there. So from now on avoid buying your snacks (its not easy). Initially it will drive you crazy wanting that snack only to find that its not there. But it will force you be creative and come up with different ways of relieving stress.

I know that I snack when I''m bored so I avoid sitting in front of the TV as much as possible. I have a sweet tooth. So If I happen to watch TV during the week I pour my self a cup of tea with honey. This keeps me busy until bed time. My point is, you have a choice, food doesn''t think but you do

Reply to Queen

Hi Emily.

Maybe next time, instead of running to the cafeteria or kitchen for snacks. Head to the kitchen for water. Or a cup of tea. Have you tried maybe gyming at home instead of eating when you stress? Or even clean your house (meaning as in, packing your wardrobe , or kitchen cupboards) even if it tidy. Just unpack it and redo it. Even working in the garden it is a great destresser. Cause now you opting for the junk, which is going to make you worry about what''s gonna happen to your trunk. if those are not for you, or if it does not help. Than opt for healthier snacking. Especially salads. Or even eat a raw tomato, or orange, or apple. etc. You catch where I am with this. Lol.

Take care