Question
Posted by: An01 | 2010/10/06

Emotional eater

I used to think that perhaps I am an emotional overeater but I have realised that I overeat regardless of the emotional state I am in. It''s like my brain cannot realise I''m full and I will eat till I''m actually nauseous.
I suppose I need to lose about 40kgs (120kg, 1.68m) but I lack the motivation. Sugar, bloodpressure, cholesterol all normal - FOR NOW!! (bp actually on the low side)
I just enjoy food tremendously and can''''t see myself eating salads for the rest of my life. Yet I don''t want to be the mom that cannot swim with my son because I''m to self contious about my body.
I remember when I gave birth that I lost so much of weight in hospital due to the fact that I was getting 3 balanced meals a day and even though the portions were small I never felt hungry. Everyone complained about the food but I just loved it - I suppose it was because the choice wasn''t left up to me.

I simply cannot afford to go and see a dietician due to financial constraints. Most of our meals consists of mice with some kind of a starch (potatoes/Rice/pasta)
Where does one start?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello there,
You seem to realize that there are no particular feelings that trigger your overeating, but it’s nevertheless clear that you do not eat in response to your physical appetite. What you describe, though, sounds more like binge-eating, as you eat quantities that result in you actually feeling nauseous. Amongst other things, your weight is a serious health concern and you are extremely lucky that you have not yet developed a type II diabetes or another medical complication associated with your obese state. It is just a matter of time for that is inevitable. What I hope, for your sake, is that you do not only respond with a healthy plan of action once you have developed a serious physical complication. You say that you are not in a position to consult with a dietician, but I would suggest you a least post a question with the DietDoc in order to prepare yourself for a shift in eating lifestyle. You responded well to a sensible plan when in hospital years ago, and you would likely respond favourably again, but you need to act now, before your morbidly obese status devastates you in every arena of your life. You will certainly not need to (and shouldn’t) eat salads all day long. As I advise continually on this forum, get yourself an individualised moderated and balanced dietary plan that will help you to lose weight gently. Even at your weight, there are physical exercises you can do to assist in your weight loss and improved physical health. You get plenty of carbohydrate, but you will need to integrate plenty of protein into your diet as well. Also, try to become more aware of how you are feeling emotionally. Although you say that you overeat on all feelings, I suspect that certain uncomfortable feelings are more provocative than others in leading you to overeating.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: pam | 2011/01/28

Good day .
pls advice according a brief history of my life i am the middle sister of 3, i have allways been the overweight sr, and was told that by my sisters and others was allways mocked about being the fatter version of the 2, i was never good enough or pretty enough, i am 43 yrs old my height is 1.61cm and my weight is 115kg i am happily married but emotionaly i am hurting and i allways am the funny one at a party with family and friends and laugh at the remarks about my weight pretending that it doesnot bother me but inside i am hurting so bad, i have been on various diets and herbal life shakes joined the gym ect been to a dietition but nothing seems to work , i have developed severe varicous veins and pains in my legs and feet , i am on no medication for hypertention it flactuoates, Dr is monitering it said i must lose weight desperately. i cannot afford biatric surgery ,my mediacl aid does not pay for this type of surgery pls help . with tears in my eyes i really need advice before it is to late.
thanx pam

Reply to pam
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/10/07

Hello there,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert