Question
Posted by: Natelie | 2012/09/06

emotional crutch

Hi, I cannot seem to stay off sigarettes. I hate the smell, the taste and what it does to my skin. At 40 a woman surely cannot afford to smoke. I seem to do fine with quitting. Go to chemist, buy quit stop smoking programme, set a date and all relatively easy. The problem is as soon as there is a crisis or any emotional upset, I simply revert back and I CANNOT help myself. I quit for 2 months, then a fight with fiancee..back to smoking. I quit for 3 days and yesterday again a crisis and back we go. Champix would have worked I am sure, but I have a history of minor deppression. Not severe and only once or twice but my Dr doesnt want to prescribe. What should I do? This is absurd.

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Champix is considered inadvisable only where a patient has a history of major depression, so your doctor is being very cautious. Also ask him/her doctor about Zyban instead, and consider nicotine patches.

You do sound very ready to quit - you're not at all in denial and you have tried several times already, which in itself is part of the quitting process. Please don't give up. What would be very helpful is to find an alternative behaviour for when you are stressed, whether that's a hot bath or going to a movie. It's all about practising new behaviour, and even pratising imperfectly will help you towards quitting altogether.

1
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/09/13

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice