Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2008-10-29

Emotional Abuse-Violation of human right

My husband is a control freak, always has been does not physically abuse but mentally and emotionally. I have a son of 20yrs old and 23yrs old, they cant handle it anymore, still living at home can' t afford to move out! I' ve been married to their father for 24yrs and I' ve lived with this most of my marriage life - I just cant anymore either, please advise we need help! EG: If we are watching a programme together on TV, my husband will switch channels because he does not want to watch, he is in control always we just have to accommodate him ALWAYS!!!! I can continue with a book of things... I need a contact telephone number for expert advice.

OK, he sopunds like a painn in the neck, but this isn't quite technically a human rights abuse. Apparently you feel unable to stand up to him, and so do your two large sons. If he's been used to bullying everyone and getting away with it, he will assume this is ultimately OK for you. Try to talk him into marriage counselling, and otherwise, stand up for yourselves, by majority vote, if necessary. And but a second TV, so he can watch what he likes ALONE, while the rest of you behave normally and watch what you want