Question
Posted by: Gwen | 2012/07/25

Emotion

Good day,

I have been having problems in my marriage.

In short, my husband has seen a psychiatrist and has been diagnosed with something along the lines of not being able to feel any emotions - he is emotionally dead, accept for anger, that seems to be the only thing he feels. He can see that he is hurting someone but has no control over it and just gets angry at himself then because he knows it is wrong he becomes aggressive. I hope I am making sense?

He wanted to divorce a few months back and that came as a shock and I begged him to see someone. He did, but never mentioned anything to me until another huge fallout where I mentioned I was going to walk out, because I couldn''t cope.

He became aggressive - this is not my husband who I have known for many years.

He then opened up to me that he was seeing someone (a psychiatrist) and this person could do nothing for him, except give him medication that would mimic the emotions of others and that he did not want. Now he must see this person once a month. Apparently, the outcome for a person that is emotionally dead is not very good and was informed that suicide occurs in more than 90% of these cases.

I also understand that this can be triggered by something that maybe happened in his past?

I really need information on this and the correct term or condition for what he has and some facts. Please tell me.

I love him.

Well, that sounds like a description of the problem, rather than a widely recognized diagnosis as such. The issue the shrink ought to have answered is WHY he is troubled in this way and how it can be helped. I very much doubt that he has no possible control over hurting people, for instance. Maybe your husband is trying his best to explain to him what he understood from what his psychiatrist said, but it doesn't make sense to me.
I have rarely heard of a shrink telling someone he cannot do anything for him ( though I have come across someone who really doesn't want to be helped or to change, claiming that this is what he was told. ) There is no such thing as a medication that would mimic the emotions of others. Thoigh it may well be that he refused the suggestion that he take medication, surely it would only have been ofered had there been a realisic chance that it would be helpful.
And if there was nothing to be done, why would he be seeing this person once a month ?
"Emotionally dead" is NOT a diagnosis or a firm and inevitable condition - it's a SYMPTOM, often of significant Depression, and improves when the depression is properly treated, either by antidepressant meds, or by CBT style counselling, or both.
There is no such diagnosis as "emotionally dead", and thus no specific outlook for it. The outlook for untreated or not properly treated Depression is not good, and does include suicide, but not in 90 % of cases. But maybe he was indirectly warning you that he may be thinking of suicide.
He is fortunate to have someone as caring and loving as you in his life. Maybe you should keep talking with him about your concern for his safety, maybe mentioning that you want to do all you can to help him, and would really like to talk with his psychiatrist for advice on how to be helpful. Maybe you could call the psychiatrist's office and speak with him or leave a message about your concerns, including the fact that your husband has told you that his condition is untreatable and has a very high suicide rate, and you want to be able to be more helpful than just sitting around waiting for a calamity.

1