Question
Posted by: Kate | 2008/06/18

Emotioanlly dead

Please could you give me some advice. My boyfriend is emotionally dead. He feels nothing about anything or anyone...his life is great...he overachieves in every aspect...work, sport, has a good social life etc. He wasn't always dead inside, he used to feel good. For a few years he was using drugs heavily and I feel that it has messed his head up and he could have some chemical imbalances. Is there anything that he could do to get back to his old self? Please help...it kills me to see him like this.

Thank you.

There is nothing YOU can do to change his condition. If he recognizes this state as being a problem, he should be persuaded ( that's where you can help ) to see a good local shrink for a proper in-depth assessment and diagnosis, and then a discussion of treatment options based on that.

2
Posted by: Cloud | 2008/06/19

I can understand completely what you are going through, When my boyfriend lost his mother a few years back, he became 'emotionally dead' He then experimented with drugs and it worsened. At the time i couldnt understand as i had never experienced a loss before, yet over the years he has improved and even gone for some counselling. However, i must say to you that probing and worrying excessively isnt going to get him to open up to you, if anything i think it might cause you to become depressed as i did. I am no expert on the effects of drugs, yet have read many articles that suggest they can affect the chemical in the brain, all i can say to you in the meantime, is try let him be unless he is abusive of course,i find that men can be strange when dealing with problems sometimes. Understanding the difference of the sexes also may help. I know we want our men to 'share' and open up about the things they go through as we share with them. Try to remember though, they have been socialised and conditioned to respond differently. Be patient and have faith..

Reply to Cloud
Posted by: butterfly | 2008/06/19

What do you mean by emotionally dead? You say he has a good life etc. Did he tell you he felt dead inside or what? Give me more detail.

Reply to butterfly