Posted by: Pam | 2009-07-02

Emosional insecurity

Hi Doc, My little one (5 years old) is very insecure!! Just a few examples why I say this. He only eat certain food and demand the same food with every meal, and with every meal I mean breakfast, lunch and supper!! This consist of cheese, vianna and bread with tamoto souce!!! No matter what we do, we tried everything from refusing to give him other food than the food on the table , name it!! He just don' t eat if he don' t get his food!!! He is also very clingy and will never visit a friend on his own. He don' t even greet stangers!!! Should I take him to a child shrink?

What you're describing isn't so much insecurity as being rather obsessional and fussy. A child shrink would be able to help you devise a program to convert him back to eating and enjoying whatever is served to him. The clinginess does sound more insecure, and maybe you're right that both reflect a reluctance to change or do anything outtside a strict routine. YOu can, rather than attempting to stop him sticking to his favourite odd menu, try to get him to rather add a litle normal food to it, having a chart on which he earns star points for each mouthful of normal food he eats as well as his chosen diet, and every so many stars can earn him something he really likes and wants. Every meal where he refuses to add anything normal to his meal, he'd lose a star.