Posted by: Eileen | 2013-01-29

Hi, my previous post was in Afrikaans! I''m not sure what breed my dog is because we picked her up in the road when she was only about 6 weeks old and hit by a car! We think she''s an alsatian (she looks like one) but she is black all over!

The problem with Emily is her hair (wooly undercoat) is a problem in the summer! The hair falls out and is EVERYWHERE!! I have small children and when they play the hair is all over them aswell.

We do comb her but 10minutes after we groomed her the next batch of " wool"  start to fall out! Can I send he for shave, will this solve the problem because my husband believe you may not shave an alsatian?!?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Emily, and again so sorry about my lack of skills here - hate to know what I may have told you if I had answered in your language!

some dogs and breeds do shed excessively and in most cases it is totally normal, but for some dogs it can be the result of poor nutrition, stress or an underlying medical problem, so I would suggest you mention this to your vet first as a safeguard.

I see nothing wrong with having a GSD trimmed at all. I have several friends that have done this due to the dogs being so badly affected by the heat and having a Border collie myself who has a very thick coat I have him trimmed twice a year. Dont try and do this yourself, rather go to a groomer and let them do it professionally. Thks S