Question
Posted by: mt | 2008/08/07

EMI

What do you think of EMI - Eye Movement Intergration? I spoke to you many moths back...I thought things were not good then...now I am not so sure...I am still having terrible flashbacks of childhood sexual abuse. What makes men do it? And why do mothers not stop it? I was lucky in that she eventually dropped me off at the welfare offices and I was adopted into the most amazing family - I was 5 at the time...why are these memories haunting me now? They are so vivid as if it is happening to me now...I keep having to undo plans to end things forever...I have the most beautiful family...3 gorgeous children...a great husband...why now and why cant I hang onto the posiive things in my life...I feel so desperate and alone...sometimes the flashbacks are so intrusive I forget who I am...I have a huge amount of physical pain which runs concurrently with the flashbacks...I have gone back to my psychologist....I just fear that this is going to carry on and on...it has been 3 years now...I am losing all hope. Please advise me...where to from here...what are the flashbacks trying to show me...surely not all the horror and pain...what am I missing?

EMI is quackery, without any good quality research showing it to be effective. There's a huge literature on why men ( and some women ) abuse, and on why some mothers tolerate it. Memories may become more vivid and relevant to you at diferent times in your life, for instance when a child of yours reaches an age at which you were abused. Ordinary counselling / therapy can help, and, as Ipve said before, one needs to avoid people who specialize too intensely in abuse issues, as they are too often fanatics riding their own hobby-horse irrespective of your needs. Your psychologist ought to assess the situation, including the question of whether there might be an element of PTSD in your state, which responds to CBT plus SSRI antidepressants.
Remember, though it is easy to talk in such terms, flashbacks happen --- they are not trying to tell you anything, any more than an epileptic fit is trying to tell us something. They are things which happen related to changes in brain chemistry and even architecture caused by exposure to severe trauma