Question
Posted by: KV | 2010/06/22

EMDR

Hi there..
I am a 27 yr old woman and i have been seeing a psychologist for the past six months. My therapist has identified certain thoughts/ideas/beliefs I have that need to be removed if i am to progress. She suggested EMDR or Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing - what do think about this process? Is it similar to hypnotism? I feel rather reluctant about this. Is there any other way?

No, its a recognized technique, not entirely main-stream, but with some reasonable research support, and fortunately not like hypnosis in that suggestions doesn't seem to be its effective element. There is a growing amount of new research on memories and fixed beliefs and how they change that provies an increasingly logical btheoretical background to what might sound like a silly or illogical treatment which was originally discovered by accident.
Like CBT, this is a way of changing entrenched and unhelpful habits of thought, and could be well worth trying.

1