Question
Posted by: Skye | 2010/03/04

EMDR

Hi CS

I was wondering what your views are on EMDR and if it would be helpful in treating PTSD. I am thinking of trying it but it''s very expensive so I want to know if there is any sound theory behind it and if it would help before I spend time and money on it.

FOr the uninitiated, EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing. It was devised by Dr Shapiro who was a friend of mine in the days when we used to correspond, though we have lost touchm and was adopted by some other colleagues overseas I respect.
At first it sounded daft, requiring you to concentrate on what was bothering you, while rolling your eyes from side to side following the therapists finger. It still sounds daft. At first there were some rather good research results showing benefits, though later this became less clear. It's always difficult in research assessing whether a treatment works ( or is just a placebo effect caused by the therapist's enthusiasm and the patient's belief in it )- and whereas you can try to check for that with meds by comparing the real drug with a dummy tablet, its hard to devise a dummy version of eye-ball rolling ! And indeed, when some folks tried to, some other rhythmic activities also seemed to work.
It has been used by some folks overseas in treating PTSD, and they have described some good results. But its not by any means a mainstream treatment yet.
There are developing theories as to how it works, mainly to do with influencing information processing, but not much research showing that any of the different theories are actually accurate
Currently, I wouldn't mind seeing it tried, EXCEPT that I object srongly to how expensive it is. I know that training courses for fancy therapies can be costly, but not THAT costly, and I worry about people being ripped off by excessive charges. Personally, I think the Health Professions Council should forbid the charging of any price for any form of psychotherapy / counselling other then the standard basic price.
And as D says, it's not for everyone, and its hard to tell whether it would suit you for a particular purpose, until you have tried it. I suspect partly this is just that different people respond to every other treatment differently, and partly that some people just find the basic idea so silly they can't quite get into it.

2
Posted by: D | 2010/03/04

I used EDMR about two years ago, helped me to stop drinking and overcome ALOT of other issues.

Started again yesterday.

I think its great, not for everyone tho

Reply to D