Posted by: D | 2009-03-17

Embarrassed to be me!

I have a horrible problem for years, to the point I can' t even look in the mirror! I have PCOS and sugar is my enemy, but also because of the PCOS I am extremely hairy (hirsutism), I pratically shouldv' e been a, it hasn' t always been like this it started in my early 20s with weight gain!

My main problem is my face, my upper lip of course and under my chin(not too bad)! I use to use hair remover cream which burnt my skin and then resorted to horror...shaving!

Which has now left my upper lip scarred badly and I shave it everyday not to mention under my chin! I have seen a dermatologist years ago who said(no harm in shaving) but I would need to lighten my skin as I am dark toned(indian) for laser treatment...which never happened! I hate how people stare and comment at me!

I need a permanent quick fix I am now 33 years old and I hate myself so, besides my weight. I am seeing a dietician which would help if i lose the weight so hair growth can decrease as well, i am on Aldactone!

Can you recommend plastic surgeory or any procedure to complete take away the scarrs and remove hair follicles on upper lip first and then under chin?

Sorry for the long post, I have always been desperate just too embarrassed and depressed about it! I don' t want my 6 month old baby when he is all grown up to hear his mother being made fun of because she has a moustache!
Thank for your time!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi D, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response.

I must start by saying that I am sorry to hear the predicament you are in and congratulations on taking steps to address your concerns.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would need to examine the areas of concern to give you an adequate answer regarding the scars.
My advice is to consult an aesthetic medical practitioner or a plastic surgeon who can examine the scars and recommend the appropriate treatment regime.

Safe hair removal on darker skin types is possible today with the correct hair removal technology (e.g.: Syneron eMax or eLight). However the safety of the technology and the prevention of side effects such as pigmentation changes are dependent on the operator of the machine.

If the ‘scars’ you mention is pigmentory changes that have resulted from the hair removal cream (inflammatory process) then a number of options exist to reduce or lighten this pigmentation. Topical products such as NeoStrata Pigment Lightening Gel and the Brightening Cream SPF 15 can be used. One can couple this with the NeoStrata Glycolic acid peel regime to enhance the effect on the pigmentation. Further reduction can be achieved with skin rejuvenation technology but once again the technology choice must be safe for your skin type and the operator needs to be experienced with treating darker skin tones.

Following from the above your best option is to be examined by a doctor with a special interest with your skin concerns.