Posted by: Anon | 2010-04-07

Embarrasing problem

Hi doc, I''m a fairly healthy 22 year old female- just got low iron. I eat 4 meals a day, exercise, drink lots of water and take a multivitamin (was using Pharmaton but as of today I''m using Minamino). For about a month I''ve had this embarrasing problem- in the mornings I get stomach cramps and when I use the bathroom my stool isn''t solid. But that''s not the embarrasing part- after I go to the bathroom my anus gets itchy. Now I know this is one of the signs of worms so I took a 3 day deworming thing. That didn''t help. But the thing is I use toilet paper to scratch (hygiene purposes) and there is always like ''residue'' (if I can say that without grossing anyone out). I haven''t really changed my eating habits, just eating granola as a mid morning snack, which I never used to before. I''m scared this is going to be a huge problem when I''m older. What could be the problem?

Anal pruritis is a common condition and there are a multitude of reasons. I therefore, suggest that you consult your GP for an examination and a proctoscopy. This way a diagnosis can be made and treatment can be started.