Question
Posted by: Thyroid | 2010/03/19

Eltroxin and appetite

I was recently put on Eltroxin ( been 2 days) for an underactive thyroid, but my appetite has increase , is this linked and what healthy snacks can i eat ( i already eat 4-5 small meals throughout the day)

Dear Thyroid
I checked my copy of MIMS which lists all the medications sold in SA and their side-effects etc, and no mention of increased appetite is listed for Eltroxin. It may be that some other factor is stimulating your appetite? If you find that your appetite is still increased after taking Eltroxin for a month (it actually takes 3 months for the thyroid hormone levels to stabilise), then please discuss this with the prescribing dr who may need to adjust your dosage. Healthy snacks include fat-free yoghurt, cottage cheese, high-fibre crackers such as ProVita or low-GI bread, very lean and thinly sliced meat, fish, boiled eggs, deciduous and citrus fruit and vegetables like cucumber, celery, baby tomatoes, baby carrots, etc.

1

Dear Thyroid