Question
Posted by: Rita | 2011/06/28

Eltroxin

Hi Doctor
My husband is on eltroxin .1mg every day and .5mg every other day and on weekends due to a very underactive thyroid which they discovered when he had a heart attack and 5 artery bypass. Does he have to have the thyroid checked out every year or can he just carry on taking this dosage for the rest of his life?
Thank you for your help

Rita

I strongly advise that your husband consults his doctor every three months for blood tests to evaluate his thyroid levels. Be aware of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid and if he presents with any of these symptoms, he should have his blood levels checked as soon as possible.