Question

Eltroxin

Do you need a script for Eltroxin?

I have been tested 4 times and each time they say my tests are fine. Yet my symptoms persist and worsen.

I have gained 12kgs in 8 months, I am constantly exhausted. My hair falling out. I am always cold, even in summer I am in jerseys.

I want to try Eltroxin for a week and see if it makes any difference. Maybe the tests were wrong. I cant keep living like this. I need an answer so I can get better. I cant even play with my sons, I am just too tired.

Dear Anonymous
Yes you need a prescription for Eltroxin and you have to use it for at least 6 weeks before it will make a difference anyway. Did they do a full thyroid function test or just a TSH test? You should also have yourself tested for excess cortisol and insulin resistance. Maybe time to get a second opinion from another doctor?

3
Posted by: Shavani | 2009-05-30

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been on Eltroxin for the past 6 months. I feel great , loads of energy and lost alot of weight that I battled with for a long time , HOWEVER , my skin (face) is suddenly turned into my worst nightmare, I have adult acne (31 yrs) and nothing that I apply seems to help..i predict it has to do with the eltroxin and my hormones... what do u say ???

Reply to Shavani

Hi, I understand you completely, I was 16 when my symptoms began &  only because of a persistent dr was I diagnosed 2 yrs later. We juggled up the times of testing as levels can differ day to day, sometimes mornings other times afternoons testing every 3 mths. Although if hypothyroidism is your problem, be prepared, eltroxin doesn' t fix everything &  you will still have symptoms. Low bp is my constant battle.Good luck.

I have had my thyroid tested and found to have an underactive thyroid. I was put on Eltroxin. The tiredness has never gone away. I still have weight around my gut. I gym 4 times a week and this consists of weights, treadmill and circuit training. I have also had a strange occurence last week. After completing the circuit, I went onto the machine to test my weight, pressure, etc and while taking my pressure, I suddenly felt faint and clammy and nauseas. I sat down for a while and asked one of the trainers to get a pressure machine as I suspected that my pressure had gone low. It was low. 84/52. I had to ask someone to drive me home. It took about 90 minutes for me to feel better. the next day I went to my GP and he did not understand what could have caused the problem,. My pressure was 150/106. I' d like to know what could have caused the dip and then escalation in my pressure.