Posted by: lynn | 2009-03-26

hi, you have told me that eltroxin is for an underactive thyroid.
what does this tablet do for the body? does it help with weightloss or metabalism ??

Dear Lynn
Thyroid hormone is necessary for the metabolism of the body. Eltroxin is thyroid hormone given as supplement in people who do not make enough thyroid hormone. In people with underactive thyroid taking eltroxin may boost a slow metabolism and cause weight loss.

Posted by: Bets (also) | 2009-03-27

Hallo Dr. Bets - I have been using eltroxin for the last 6 months. First one tablet in the morning and now 2. I still am tired, still have low blood pressure, no weight loss whatsoever, still not enough iron. I know that Eltroxin is supposed to produce the T4 hormone but it seems that the T4 does not change to the T3 hormone of which I am sure further medication would help. Could you please supply me with the name to enable me to discuss with my GP?

Reply to Bets (also)