Question
Posted by: Wilma | 2010-05-03

Eltroxan

Thank you for your''e advice the Aniloretic, Duromine and Eltroxan, I was precribed for 3 months,is for weight loss.
The Dr did not test my thyroid. What is the danger in using this medication? I realy need help with my weightloss.

Wilma

Dear Wilma
It is a pleasure. As I said, if you have not had your thyroid tested and you don't know if the thyroid is underactive or not, then don't take any thyroid medications like Eltroxin. Please consult another doctor for a second opinion and also see a dietitian for a balanced slimming diet (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), before you disrupt your entire metabolism. The thyroid gland has been called "the conductor" of the orchestra of the body - if something goes wrong with the thyroid then most other hormonal systems in the body get disrupted. So let's say your thyroid is not underactive and you take extra thyroid hormone, then you will cause a condition called hyperthyroidism which can cause palpitations (which can lead to heart arrhythmias), sleeplessness, irritability, restlessness, raised body temperature, termors, anxiety, etc. This can also affect your menstruation, bone metabolism, etc. So have your thyroid hormone levels tested BEFORE you take supplemental thyroid hormone. Rather safe than sorry.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-03

Dear Wilma
Take care