Question
Posted by: IT gal | 2011/09/12

Else Depression

In the IT field programmers have a different way expressing the following. If an error occurs in a programme you right specific instructions of how it should be handled. You this for all errors you can think of and where you have a specific way of handling them.In the end you say put a statement to handle any other error that might occur that you did not think off & mdash & mdash  a ''Catch anything else'' type of phrase.

I am so convinced that depression is a ''catch anything else'' type of diagnosis. If we can''t diagnose you, you must be depressed.

Just thinking.

Interesting idea, but not so. Many people, being sloppy, do indeed use the diagnosis in just such a messy way. But Depression ( rather than depression ) is a specific illness, with specific chemical signatures, and responding to particular treatments and not to others.
However, I think CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) recognizes that there is a significant eleent of bad programming or program errors in the way people think in a depression, and CBT is in some ways a manner of debugging that process, with conspicuous success

3
Posted by: IT gal | 2011/09/13

lovely responses

Reply to IT gal

Posted by: Maria | 2011/09/12

I''m a programmer, psychology student and depression sufferer so I think I can answer your question! There are definitive criteria that someone must meet in order to be diagnosed as clinically depressed. This is of course very different from the depression one suffers from when you cannot find the right shoes for your outfit, or your program goes into an endless loop and you don''t know why. Having said that, depression is the " common cold"  of psychiatry - it is a rather common disorder that may or may not need treatment to resolve.

Reply to Maria