Posted by: George | 2011-11-30

elevated ferritin

I''m 51 yrs old male,my ferritin is around 800 which is 3 - 4 times normal.i have heart desease (cardiomyopathy) with an EF of 35. I read that excess iron can damage organs including the heart. I wonder if this is contributing. My doctor tested me for haemochromotosis and I did not have it, so we''re doing nothing about my situation. Tested my liver for desease and no problem. there is something wrong, but I have got no ideas. any ideas as to where I can did for answers?

Your ferritin levels are abnormally high. You can consult an internal specialist for further examination. Besides hemochromotosis, ferritin levels can also be elevated in chronic disease, as well as acute disease. Other conditions include hemosiderosis, adult-onset Still's disease, porphyria and Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. These are rare conditions and the internal specialist will be able to assist to exclude it.

Posted by: Karen | 2011-12-01

Hi George,

sorry to hear about your heart problems. I had an elevated Ferritin count and was tested for Lupus, because of it! maybe that could be it? The Cyberdoc will be around soon and I am no Doctor - so please don''t go on my word.

But, if you are in the Pretoria-area I can recommend my Doctor/Internist to you.

Reply to Karen