Question
Posted by: Lee-Ann Lloyd | 2012/07/04

Electroconvulsive Therapy

I am a 40 year old female, have been in an abusive environment as far back as my memory can take me. I want to live normal and cope without anti anxiety pills or anti depressants. I cannot move forward currently, I am stuck as their is currently no positive environment I am in, home feels like I want to run away from and that goes way back since I have an abusive husband, less over the years but the memories of betrayal and physical torture still prevails, my job sucks as the new environment since I have a new manager feels like a war zone.
I lack trust and cannot see anyway forward to recovery.

Please advise, I am exhausted , I just want to sleep my life away and not face my obligations and responsibilities.

Thanking you in advance for your response.

The best remedy would probably to see a good local specialist psychologist for counselling / psychotherapy specifically of the CBT ( COgnitive-behaviour Therapy ) format. NO drug specifically treats the range of effects of being abused or having good reasons to feel miserable.
It is possible that a good shrink, depending on the diagnosis made after a thorough in-person assessment, might recommend the use of perhaps a carefully selected antidepressant drug for a time. Most of the drugs typically used, especially by GPs, for anxiety, have problems of causing dependency, not being suitable for long-term use, and being sedaive primarily, rather than solving any of the problems directly involved in the anxiety

1