Posted by: Jacquie | 2009-11-26

Electrical appliances

Could anayone tell me why I can no longer purchase non-electrical (manual) kitchen and household appliances? I have been looking for a manual carpet sweeper (Ewbank used to make them) as I found that a daily sweeping with this, meant that I need only use my electric vacuum cleaner once a month - thus saving electricity.

I also can' t find a manual bread slicer! What is so difficult about turning a handle instead of using power to turn the blade?

Could some manufacturer please provide non-electrical appliances again in an effort to assist in saving electricity?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Good for you! I also try to make housework into a mini-workout.
I remember those manual carpet the mists of time...but I suspect the only place you'll find them is a second-hand shop or maybe on auction. I don't have a vaccum cleaner myself (though sometimes I have to admit I wish I did) - I use a broom, a mop, and shake the carpets out! I wonder if you can still get those things Victorian maids used to whack the carpets with?
Manual bread slicer...bread knife?