Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-02

How many people out there, think that prisoners should be given the oppurtunity to vote.

I reckon you have commited a crime you have lost all your HUMAN RIGHTS.

It' s really unfair that there are some people that have been living here for over 20 yrs that are NON-SA CITERZINS, are not allowed to vote. They to have been paying tax.

If they are good enough to pay tax, shouldn' t they also be allowed to register and vote. After all they are living in this country, they should also have their say.

Maybe they should all vote for COPE.

Its so rare for any crook to get arrested, let alone, tried, let alone convicted, in this country, that there are surely even stronger grounds than usual to deny them the right to vote. And South Africans living and working abroad, I gather, are not allowed to vote ? Nonsense ! It fits the ridiculous policies of this Government, whatever they may deny when challenged about it, to always favour criminals compared with those criminal's victims.

Posted by: charl | 2009-02-04

To South African.

I too am South African, but what you are saying that foreigners can' t vote, is not right. They have as much of a right to vote as much as the prisoners do.

Why would you not want them to vote, is one scared what the outcome would be.

To LET THEM.........
Yes, you mb right, but if a prisoner has been put in there because they have comitted a crime, why should they have the privallege to vote. I say they shouldn' t. Coz we oviously know whom they are going to vote for.

When Madiba come into power and for his birthday they FREED 1000 prisoners, for what. Now don' t you think that was a bad thing. Now wonder why ANC wants the criminals to vote, coz they r also lay in the same bed.

Zimbabwe, what can i say. Nothing. They wanted the country, now look what' s happining. F***** UP!

Reply to charl
Posted by: LET THEM ALL BE ALLOWED TO VOTE | 2009-02-02

Prisoners must be allowed to vote. They are human beings and as such their human rights are inviolable. Just because they are imprisoned does not mean their human rights must be taken away.

Let me explain to you why they must be allowed to vote:

When policy is made, you must always think of the future. What kind of government will we have in the future? And what policies will protect us as ordinary citizens?

Let is examine Zimbabwe now. Innocent people languish in jail. People who don' t agree with the government are imprisoned. People like Ms Justina Mukoko, who has been fighting for Human Rights. Would you like to see Ms Mukoko denied a vote?
I would not want that, and I would campaign that she be allowed to vote even though she is imprisoned and in jail!!!

So, when you say " don' t allow prisoners to vote"  you make the people weaker, and a possible rouge state stronger.

BUT, SA citizens that are working outside of the country MUST also be allowed to vote.

We must call for all SA citizens to vote, and not juxtapose one set of people against another.

Yes to Cope.

Posted by: South African | 2009-02-02

Why should foreigners dictate or have a say in our affairs meanwhile their countries are in a state? if not, then why are they here????

Reply to South African
Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-02

I reckon they are to scared to let South africans living &  working abroad to vote, coz they know exactly what will happen.

America does it for their people why don' t we?

I' ll tell you why, coz they will all vote against them.

Posted by: rI | 2009-02-02

This Goverment just chop and change like they want, If the see they don' t have enough votes then the criminals and foreigners can vote, I really hope COPE give the ANC a good run for their money

Reply to rI