Question
Posted by: Ericka | 2010-05-07

Elderly to Gain weight

My mother is 76 years old and is going for a back procedure in 2 weeks time. She suffers from osteoporoses. She has lost a lot of weight over the last 3 months and the doctor says she needs to gain weight asap. What can we get her to raise her appetite ? Since my sister passed away 2months ago, she eats very little. Thanks.

Dear Ericka
I am sorry to hear that your dear Mom has to have an op and that she has lost so much weight. I would suspect that this is due to depression caused by the loss of your sister. So please ask the dr to evaluate her for depression and if she is depressed to give her a mild antidepressant. I have written some articles on the subject of weight gain. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your Mom's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about her need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically she needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much she eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to her regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If she uses a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then she should gain 1 kg per week, thus in 2 months she could gain about 6-8 kg. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-07

Dear Ericka