Question
Posted by: Merle | 2009-09-28

Elderly parents

Managing elderly parents, 73 and 75. Am 47, single, parents with me always. No place to hide. Parents are possessive of my time. Stressed, help?

I know quite a bit about "no place to hide". You don't describe your parents as having any specific problems yet in terms of physical or mental health, wich, if so, is a blessing, as that is when things get really difficult, no-matter how much one loves them. If these problems are more about unrealistic expectations at this stage, wouldn't it help to arrage a calm sit-down discussion about their needs and wishes and your real constraints, as well as clarifying how they would wish things to be handled when they become frail and more needy, and try to get a sense of working together to achieve the best practical arrangements ?