Posted by: Greg | 2009-04-17

elbow pain when exercising

Hope you can assist.

For some years now I have experienced tenderness in my elbows when performing any type of exercise which involves lifting dumbells or press ups. I have tried to ignore this and train through it. However it becomes progressively worse over days and weeks untill I am forced to rest the elbows and eliminate training altogether. After a protracted rest the whole cycle starts again with minor pain building up until I am forced to rest.

I do not know if this is something to do with my technique although trainers at the gym cannot see anything obvious.

I have in the past referred this issue when seeing biokinetists but literally no response other than them saying that it could be a pinched nerve ??? (I find this strange seeing that it happens in both arms simultaneously).

Can you either advise me how I can reslove this and what type of doctor/specialist etc etc would be best to give me proper specialist advice

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Greg,

For the problem you have you should consult with an orthopedic specialist who has an interest in elbow problems.
It would need an examination and X-rays. If you tell me where you live i can advise a person closest to you . Our contact details are on the website:

Dr Joe de Beer