Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2012/03/07

Eksteen a psychopath?

Cybershrink, what is your professional opinion? Is Jacobus Eksteen a psychopath?
My heart goes out to HIS parents and family, as also to the victim''s. But very few people think of what his family, especially parents are going through.

Obviously, I've never met him or been able to assess him. I gather that the lawyers seem to have agreed that he had unspecified untreated "psychological problems" Back in 2010 a panel of psychiatrists found him mentally fit to stand trial. A psychiatris's report was presented saying he had many disorders ( actually this is highly unusual ) including " pervasive developmental disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder and Asperger’s Syndrome. " And perhaps ingrowing toenails and dandruff, too.
WHile such a wealth of disorders is possible, it is highly unusual and an odd combination - especially when he seems to have been capable of performing well both in school education and at university until around the time of the crime.
Yes, as there's no evidence that his family are in any way to blame for his condition ro for what happened, this must all be most unpleasant for them, as well as for the victim's family, and the victim has lost everything.

1