Question
Posted by: Anne | 2011-04-04

Ehrlichiosis

Hi, I hope you can help. I need to know if a full course (28 days) of Doxycycline will cure Ehrlichiosis completely? Will there be a come-back later or specific bad side effects from this medication?

I will really appreciate your help.

Hi Anne
Ehrlichiosis is caused by a parasite that is transmitted by ticks into the patient’s blood. Thus, once the parasite is killed by the antibiotic, there should not be any come backs, unless the patient gets bitten by a tick that carries the parasite again. A four week course of Doxycycline should definitely be enough to kill all the parasites. The only side effect you must be aware of is that the Doxycyline tablet can cause irritation of the oesophagus if given on an empty stomach, so always give the tablet after meals.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2011-04-04

The effectiveness of doxycycline depends to a certain extent on how timeously the treatment was commenced. If you caught the disease in its early stages, a normal course should be effective, but if not, then further treatment may be required. It''s important to give a complete course of the medication, even if the dog seems a lot better.

Apart from specific allergies, side effects may include diarrhea and/or vomiting. You need to communicate with your vet if you notice either happening.

In humans, it is generally recommended that dairy products are avoided for around 3 hours before and after taking doxycycline - I''m not sure if this applies to dogs. If it is an issue, ask your vet about this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-04-04

Hi Anne

Reply to CyberVet