Posted by: Coughing | 2009-03-02

My mother has developed a chronic cough (past 5 years). She has been to ENT' s, GP' s who have done allergy tests, reflux tests, scans, scopes etc to identify what' s causing it but no one seems to really be able to pin point it. They just keep giving her allergy meds or reflux meds. It has become so bad that she cannot get through a sentence without coughing violently. Conversation is almost impossible. We have discvered that her sister (who lives in another country) has developed a similar thing. Do you have any advice as to a type of specialist she could consult?

Dear Coughing
It seems as if they tried to exclude most common causes. Did they check for Asthma with a lung function test? Other rare causes could be a thyroid problem or side effects of medication. Does she have difficulty swallowing?
(My dad had a similar thing and after a lot of tests we found that he is allergic to milk!)
See a list of causes in the tables in this article to see if they maybe did not check all possibilities?