Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/04/15

Eglonyl and insulin sensitivity

Dear DietDoc

Does Eglonyl (sulpiride) have any effect on glucose homeostasis? ie does it affect insulin sensitivity? If it does, would taking Metformin help to counteract the weight gain?

thanks

Dear Racoon
I have read up on Eglonyl in my copy of the MDR and weight gain in isolated cases is reported. No mention is made of Eglonyl interfering with glucose homeostasis or if sulpiride interacts with a drug like Metformin (which would then complicate using the latter). The information in the MDR actually says,"Eglonyl is well tolerated in diabetics". I would suggest that you discuss your weight gain and the use of Metformin with the doctor who is prescribing your Eglonyl, because Metformin may not be indicated, if you do not specifically suffer from type 2 diabetes and another medications may be more appropriate to help with controlling your weight.

1

Dear Racoon