Posted by: Koos | 2009-09-14

My 5 year old daughter stays with her mother. She has only recently started spending weekends with me.

I have now established that she is on Eglonyl (2.5ml 3 times a day) and I have been told this is an anti depressant. She has apparently been on this medication for +/- 1 year.

I found it to be quite a shock that my 5 year old has been on anti depressants! Is there anything to be concerned about?

Eglonyl is NOT an antidepressant, and I know of NO good research showing it to be a useful drug to EVER use in children. It is a peculiar drug bizarely popular in South Africa, especially among GPs who did not receive good psychiatric training. Children can become depressed, and if this has ben properly diagnosed, this should be confirmed by a child psychiatrist whop alone should prescribe psychotropic meds for a child.
I agree with Liza. Personally, I have NEVER EVER seen anyone for whom I would consider prescribing Eglonyl.

Posted by: Cobber | 2014-06-25

Cybershrink, you are lucky that some psychiatrist in SA doesn't sue your A*S. How can you make such a dumb statement; ",..especially among GPs who did not receive good psychiatric training." ? Also, did they teach you to spell where you trained?

Reply to Cobber
Posted by: Bruce | 2014-06-25

I know of many people who are on Eglonyl including myself and it has benefited them. Liza, because it doesn't work on you, it does not mean it has the placebo effect. My psychiatrist in SA who has worked in Falkonberg for decades prescribed it to me with imipramine and it is the only combo that has worked. Every SSRI I have tried hasn't worked but it doesn't mean it is a placebo

Reply to Bruce
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-14

The pharmacological classification of Eglonyl is ' Tranquillizers: Miscellaneous structure' . Some doctors use Eglonyl as an anti-depressant, although I have yet to find the qualified psychiatrist who prescribes it for pure depression. GP' s are very fond of prescribing it for mild depression. Although I think the reason why it works is the placebo effect - not because it really works. I' ve also heard that it can be prescribed to children with behavioural problems - although I don' t know how effective it is.

If the medication was prescribed my a specialist psychiatrist, I don' t think you need to worry. If it was prescribed by a GP however, I would suggest that you take your daughter to a specialist psychiatrist for a full evaluation.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza