Question
Posted by: andriette | 2010/11/14

eggs

Hi.
I am going on a high protein diet which requires that I eat an egg everyday.
I know that eggyolks have high cholesterol quantities so I was just wondering if it is fine to eat one egg a day?
Thanks!

Dear Andriette
I am personally not in favour of high-protein diets for the very reason that they don't only contain a lot of protein, but also have very high total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol contents. According to the SA Heart Foundation, adult South Africans should not eat more than 4 eggs per week because egg yolk has such as high cholesterol content. Rather use fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt as your protein-source to reduce your fat and cholesterol intake on 3-4 of the mornings.

1

Dear Andriette